Before you know everything, teach someone else.Sam M.

Congratulations SAI Mentorship Seniors!

posted by admin at 11:52 am on March 27, 2011

Wow!  This has been a tough, challenging and yet fun journey. For some of you it began three years ago and for others,  you have had your head down, working hard to produce the portfolio of a life time in less then a year. Every year presents new challenges as colleges move and shift their policies and requirements. This year we had a very diverse group of mentorship seniors from film making, illustration to fashion design. You all did an outstanding job with your applications, essays and portfolios. Now you are enjoying the rewards of your efforts, college acceptance letters are rolling in as well as letters for scholarship awards. In the next few weeks scholarship letters will begin to roll out. I wish you all the best and I know you have all done excellent work, thank you for making my job fun and satisfying. The next two weeks will present opportunities to visit with the colleges that have accepted you. Make sure to attend their welcome receptions and meet the admissions councilors. Feel free to post about your experience in what has been a epic journey.

5 Comments Leave your own

1. Mago Huang 10:23 pm on March 29, 2011

it was a wonderful journey. We had lots of fun time during class, I like to work with all these great artists.Dianne you are great, we not only learn how to draw, paint or design, you also help us find the direction in life. mentership is a unique and wonderful class. we all love you Dianne.

2. admin 6:54 pm on March 31, 2011

Mago your growth in the art process has been fascinating to watch. You have influenced many at the school and inspired the students to create boldly and to take risk in order to find their unique ideas. Thank you for being a part of our community. We wish you all the best and I hope that you will come visit us on occasion and teach us about the new things you have discovered. I will never tire of your magical world that you have shared with all of us.

3. Anna Ohyama 2:30 am on April 6, 2011

Where to start..
    Well, I guess I should start by saying–Dianne has done it again! I applied to 3 art and design schools, and with Dianne’s support and guidance, I was accepted into all 3 as well!
    Within the 3+ years I’ve been at SAI, I’ve learned to become increasingly self-motivated as I find a stronger passion in Fashion Design, given to me by God and encouraged to keep exploring by Dianne..
    The toughest experience & test I EVER took was the Fashion Institute of Technology test. I received it surprisingly early in the mail, and found I only had 2 weeks (which was 3 weeks the year before) to complete it! The acceptance rate for high schoolers to go into the Fashion Design program at FIT is 7%..which didn’t help me to know that! I ended up having to stay up ’till nearly 4 AM every night (or morning) on top of going to school full time. Sometimes I doubted my designs, wondering if they were what FIT was looking for..Dianne gave me honest feedback as a mentor and friend, and I felt comforted to know someone believed in me. Hmm..my advice I can give for anyone applying to art school, is to start now & practice! Draw everyday, explore and think of how you can translate inspiration from around us, into your own ideas..develop a voice and find what motivates you and use that motivation to create! What I’m looking forward to right now, is being able to see Dianne again in New York in September for the 9/11 project! I will miss this class so much..

4. Anna Ohyama 2:34 am on April 6, 2011

Another thing–
    I was and am so inspired by my friends in Dianne’s classes, I appreciate the community that’s been built at SAI!

5. David Giordano 5:11 pm on June 19, 2011

What an incredible experience Mentorship has been! Dianne encouraged me to dream big; to have lofty goals like Art Center, SAIC and Otis. She gave me the tools and encouragement to achieve them on my own, and she cultivated a closely-knit community of artists and friends that was an incredible support to me in my portfolio journey! It’s amazing how I started my portfolio by drawing refrigerators in charcoal and moved on to the whole massive narrative I wove together out of the fabric of Russian culture and my own imaginary world. I’m still living in the glow of that little world you encouraged me to create, and I know that snowy Russian landscape will stay with me through my art career. So kudos, Dianne! I look forward to seeing how your students are going to change the world!